Two years ago, what began as a pneumonia outbreak in Wuhan has assumed global proportions and claimed countless lives from around the world. As we are racing against time in ensuring we achieve herd immunity, new COVID-19 variants are emerging that are more transmissible and dangerously contagious.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified the variants as either Variant of Concern (VOC) or Variant of Interest (VOI). Variant of Concern translates to a rise in transmissibility, an increase in fatality, and a significant decrease in the effectiveness of vaccines, therapy, and other health measures. Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and the latest variant, Delta, fall under this category.
The Delta variant was initially detected in India in December 2020, which resulted in a staggering number of casualties in the country. Now, more countries are experiencing another surge of infection due to this variant, including neighboring countries in the ASEAN - Indonesia, Thailand, and Malaysia. In the Philippines, this variant is now fast becoming the dominant strain of COVID in the country.
NordCham Philippines supports this event organized by the German-Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry, in partnership with BASF Philippines, and would like to invite you to this informative discussion with our expert speakers and find out more about this new deadly variant and ultimately win the war against COVID-19.
3:00 PM - 3:05 PM
Introduction to event and guest speaker
Yves Aguilos, Head of Government Affairs & DPO
German-Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry
3:05 PM - 3:25 PM
Presentation: Delta: The Anatomy of the Virus and What Makes it Different from other VOCs?
Dr. Jubert Benedicto
Associate Professor, Chief of Critical Care Units
Management Team and Pulmonologist at UP-PGH
3:25 PM - 3:45 PM
Presentation: Delta: Managing Delta Variant: Ways and Recommendations to Avoid Future Surges
Dr. Anna Lisa Ong-Lim
Professor of the University of the Philippines College of Medicine
Chief of the Infection and Tropical Disease Division of the UP Philippine General Hospital (UP PGH)
Member of the DOH-Technical Advisory Group
3:45 PM - 4:25 PM
This event is free to attend.
Zoom log in details will be sent to registered participants via a separate email an hour before the event.
Dr. Anna Lisa Ong-Lim, Professor of the University of the Philippines College of Medicine, Chief of the Infection and Tropical Disease Division of the UP Philippine General Hospital (UP PGH), and member of the DOH-Technical Advisory Group.
Dr. Ong-Lim received her MD from the University of the Philippines. She completed her residency in pediatrics and post-residency fellowship in pediatric infectious disease at UP-PGH, where she is now the Chief of the Section of Infectious and Tropical Disease.
Dr. Ong-Lim has published extensively on pediatric health and infectious disease and is heavily involved in clinical trials of pediatric vaccines, including measles, mumps, and rubella, polio, pneumococcal disease, and influenza vaccines, as well as treatments for invasive candidiasis. She is also a regular speaker on topics relating to pediatrics, infectious disease, vaccines, and clinical trials in the Philippines and throughout Asia.
Dr. Jubert Benedicto
Associate Professor, Chief of Critical Care Units Management Team and Pulmonologist at UP-PGH
• Former chief resident and a chief fellow of the UP-PGH Department of Internal
Medicine and Section of Pulmonary Medicine
• Finished critical care training at the Department of Respiratory and Critical
Care Medicine, Singapore General Hospital as a Postgraduate Institute of
• Chair, CCU-Management Action Team, UP-PGH
• Vice Chair for Patient Services, Department of Medicine, UP-PGH
• Head, Public Health and Domiciliary Unit (TB Related Services), Lung Center of the Philippines
• Medical Specialist, Lung Center of the Philippines
• Associate Professor, UP College of Medicine
• Board Member, Philippine College of Chest Physicians
• Editor-in-Chief, Scientific Proceedings, official publication of the Lung Center of the Philippines
• 2021 Exemplar Award in Health Advocacy, Philippine College of Physicians
• 2014 Most Outstanding Fellow in Research, Philippine College of Chest Physicians
• 2015 Outstanding Public Servant, Philippine College of Chest Physicians
• Fellow: Philippine College of Physicians, Philippine College of Chest Physicians, American College of Chest
Physicians, Philippine Society of Critical Care Medicine